So I finally decided to join the blogging world…. I may have made attempts before but that really didn’t work out all too well…. mostly because I forget…. like a lot. So after spending the last few hours raking the internet looking for info on my newly diagnosed ‘syndrome’ I found lots and lots of blogs…. cool right? Yeah! So I click…. nobody’s posted to them in like 3 years…. SHIT. That doesn’t help me. Why the hell do these people start shit if they aren’t going to follow through with it…. Oh wait…. GUILTY. … -_-
Anyway! This is my attempt to maybe find out some other info about this lovely diagnosis I’ve been given today….
POTS SYNDROME or POSTURAL ORTHOSTATIC TACHYCARDIA SYNDROME
It sucks. I’ve spent the last year and a half being told it was anxiety (which I do have, who doesn’t these days though???) and that it was basically all in my head. One doctor blamed it on medication and then proceeded to tell me because I’m young and I LOOK like a healthy and athletic individual he wasn’t really concerned. Really? COME. THE. FUCK. ON! Is that what you spent all your parents hard earned money on to learn in med school? If so, you should get a refund and take that medical degree off your wall….. I may LOOK healthy and athletic….. I’m NOT. ….. Athletic that is…. I trip over curbs that aren’t there…. I walk into doors and walls multiple times a day…. other than that I’m pretty damn healthy! Oh wait…. except for the fact that I have a good portion of the following symptoms…. (THANKS GOOGLE)
- Dizziness (EACH AND EVERY DAMN TIME I STAND UP)
- Fainting or passing out (syncope) (NOT YET, BUT ALMOST)
- Fast heart rate (tachycardia) (WE’RE TALKING 140’S RESTING, BABY!)
- Chest pain (HAVEN’T HAD THIS MUCH, IF AT ALL)
- Headache (FUCKIN’ CLUSTER HEADACHES ALL THE DAMN TIME!)
- Severe fatigue (ESPECIALLY AFTER A LONG EPISODE OF THE TACHYCARDIA! AND NO, IT’S NOT A DINOSAUR.)
- Difficulty concentrating (“brain fog”) (WHO DOESN’T HAVE THIS???)
- Feeling worse in very hot or very cold temperatures (HOT USUALLY DOES IT FOR ME)
- Feeling worse with exercise (DEPENDS)
- Insomnia (difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep) (MY LIFE.)
- Nausea or vomiting (YAY! A SYMPTOM I DON’T HAVE!)
- Diarrhea or constipation (DON’T HAVE THIS EITHER… THANK GOD!)
- Feeling full quickly with eating (early satiety) (FEELS LIKE I WANT TO BARF EVERY TIME I EAT SOMETHING)
- Blood collecting in the legs (venous pooling) (PRETTY SURE I HAVEN’T EXPERIENCED THIS EITHER)
- Joint or muscle pain (I’VE HAD THIS FOR YEARS…. DON’T BEAT UP YOUR BODY!)
- Worsening symptoms with bright light or loud sounds (HAVEN’T NOTICED…..)
I also ready that you can develop Dysautonomia disorders after having Lyme’s disease… which I had…. 4 years ago… Even though it was successfully treated with antibiotics.
So today, after dragging my feet and basically just putting it off because I hate doctors (yeah, I’m one of those people) I finally saw a cardiologist. I still have to get an echo-cardiogram done…. great way to spend my Friday off, huh? I also have to wear a monitor for several weeks that will keep track of my ‘episodes’. Even more fun. Hopefully this is one I can shower with… Ew, it better be… 3 weeks of no showering because of annoying itchy electrodes stuck to my skin??? Nope, I’ll take my chances on blacking out randomly over being smelly….. just kidding… I don’t really want either to happen, but I’d rather not crash my car on a 3 lane highway on the way to work. Shitty way to go…. If you haven’t figured it out, my sense of humor is a little sick…. ok a lot sick… It’s how I deal with things.
Anyway….. It’d be awesome if any of you poor souls who stumble upon this that have POTS or think you have it commented and let me know about your experiences, past or present, with it. If you think you might have it and are struggling with doctors, like I did, just grab em’, give em’ a shake, and yell THE FEELS ARE REAL!!!!! Shake repeatedly for desired results or until security escorts you out and right to the loony bin…. just kidding… Don’t do that. I mean do it if you have to. I’m not the boss of you. I don’t own you. I don’t tell you what to do. The only thing I AM TELLING you to do is don’t ignore it or put it off like I did. I put it off because my mom was terminally ill…. she was more important at the time…. but don’t. It can be pretty serious. Some people can’t work because they can’t get out of bed. Some people can’t stand up without passing out…. I can, thankfully.
I guess this is enough garbage to throw out at you for my first official blog post…. sounds fancy or like it’s a big deal, I know it’s not. It’s 2014… You’re probably wondering if I’ve ever used the internet before…. YES. Facebook, duh. Jk… how many times have I said that? Probably more than I should. Whatever. YOLO, right? No. First and last time I’ll ever use that…. SORRY.
CONGRATS TO YOU IF YOU ACTUALLY GOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THIS!
WHAT A CHAMP!
YOU MUST HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO OTHER THAN READ THIS….
….WHICH MEANS I DON’T HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO OTHER THAN WRITE THIS GARBAGE. 🙂
Until Next Time….. xoxo